December 17, 2021
Avatar 3 is a planned sequel to Avatar 2, and its aimed release date was Christmas 2015, instead now releasing in Christmas 2020. It will be shot back to back with Avatar 2. It will be the third instalment in the planned Avatar series. James Cameron has already hinted that no sequel will actually have "Avatar" in the title, as Jake Sully is no longer an avatar at the end of the first film; "Avatar 3" is most likely just a temporary title. 
On April 20, 2010 Cameron confirmed that Avatar 2 will take place in Pandora's oceans and that Avatar 3 will explore more of the Alpha Centauri System.  It is intended that the plot be able to stand alone, though it will form part of a meta-narrative that extends from Avatar 2 to 4.
After Cameron confirmed the sequel, he confirmed that the sequels would be filmed back-to-back, and be released in a lapsus of one year in between: “I am in the process of writing the next two Avatar films now. We are planning to shoot them together and [edit them in post-production] together, and we will probably release them not quite back to back, but about a year apart.”  In October 2013, Sam Worthington confirmed that the three sequels would start shooting in fall 2014,  however Weaver later stated that her shoots would not take place until fall 2015.
When asked about his involvement with the ongoing franchise in April 2015, James Horner stated that he would stay with it through its entire run "If I last that long". Tragically, James Horner died unexpectedly in a plane crash that June.
- Sam Worthington as Jake Sully
- Zoe Saldana as Neytiri
- Sigourney Weaver as ???
- Stephen Lang as Miles Quaritch
- Cliff Curtis as Tonowari (Metkayina clan)
- Oona Chaplin as Varang
In other MediaEdit
During the initial announcements for Pandora: The World of Avatar in 2011, James Cameron stated that the theme park would include elements from the second and third movies. The park opened on May 27, 2017; approximately three and a half years before the release date of the third film.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cinemacon-james-cameron-announces-four-884060
- ↑ http://www.starkinsider.com/2010/10/james-cameron-on-avatar-2-environment-reaching-ocean-bottom-video.html
- ↑ http://screenrant.com/james-cameron-avatar-2-3-sandy-83703/
- ↑ http://www.scificool.com/wait-there-will-be-more-navi-in-avatar-2-or-whatever-it-ends-up-being-called/
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65366 Avatar 3 will explore Alpha Centauri's star system.
- ↑ http://screenrant.com/avatar-sequels-release-dates-sandy-97896/ James Cameron Announces Avatar 2 & 3 Release Dates
- ↑ http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/sam-worthington-says-avatar-sequels-will-shoot-fall-of-2014
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=27&v=-3_o67a1wY4
- ↑ http://www.slashfilm.com/james-cameron-more-avatar-sequels/
- ↑ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33235271
- ↑ https://www.inverse.com/article/10520-avatar-2-delayed-from-december-2017-won-t-go-up-against-star-wars
- ↑ http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/avatar-2-will-see-sigourney-weaver-play-a-brand-new-character/
- ↑ https://youtu.be/hMT3pTWh-Ac?t=1m2s
- ↑ http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11852179
- ↑ http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/20/avatar-four-sequels-oona-chaplin/
- ↑ http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/22/us-jamescameron-3dmovies-idUSTRE78L0HS20110922
- Internet Movie Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1757678/-
|Films||Avatar (2009) · Avatar 2 (2020) · Avatar 3 (2021) · Avatar 4 (2024) · Avatar 5 (2025)|
|Books||Novel Series · Comic Series|
|Games|| PC/Console: Avatar: The Game (PC/360/PS3 · Demo · Wii/PSP · NDS) · Avatar Project|
iOS/Android: Avatar · Warrior's Journey · Avatar MMO
Browser: AVTR Advanced Team · Pandora ROVR
Other: The Mobile Game · Pinball
|Live Events||The Exhibition (2011-2014) · Toruk - The First Flight (2015-)· Discover Pandora (2016-) · Pandora: The World of Avatar (2017-)|
|Related Material||ILM Prototype · Pandora Discovered · Capturing Avatar · A Message from Pandora · Prequel|