Avatar Flight of Passage is a ride in the upcoming theme park attraction Pandora: The World of Avatar.
Flight of Passage is a motion simulator flight through Pandora on the back of a Banshee. Disney described the ride at D23 2015 as "a birds-eye view of the beauty and grandeur of the world of Pandora on an aerial rite of passage." The ride has been referred to by Disney as an "E-ticket attraction", a term used to describe major attractions at Disney parks, and "the centerpiece of Pandora".
Prior to entering the queue area, guests are scanned and matched to their own avatar while undergoing decontamination in an RDA lab. Unlike in the first Avatar movie, linking is done by synchronizing movements through motion control while standing, similar to the motion capture stage in Avatar - The Exhibition. The Avatar Program technology was advanced by the Pandoran Conservation Initiative. Tying into the Iknimaya rite of passage seen in the first Avatar film, the queue area of the ride is themed to the climb that young Na'vi take up the Ayawa Ikran to the Banshee Rookery. After the queue area, guests are seated in "link chairs" that allow them to feel the sensations of the banshee that their avatar is riding. Ride passengers are guided by a more experienced banshee-riding Na'vi flying ahead of them. Guests also get to face off against a Great Leonopteryx.
A video from the ride was shown briefly at D23 Japan 2013. Another preview of the attraction was shown during the television airing Disney Parks Magical Christmas Celebration program on December 25th, 2016, previewing the ride system with similarities to another Disney aerial ride attraction, Soarin'. The Good Morning America preview of the ride showed off special 3D goggles developed for the attraction, which are larger and have lighter lenses than goggles for similar rides. The ride was described on the Nightline preview as a "virtual reality experience". A leaked screenshot of a video of Imagineers testing Flight of Passage showed that early in development, ride vehicles were intended to actually resemble banshees with two people seated per vehicle.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/avatar/news/15aug2015-avatar-land-is-officially-named---pandora---the-world-of-avatar.htm
- ↑ https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/pandora-the-world-of-avatar-will-be-new-land-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/
- ↑ http://themeparks.about.com/od/disneyparks/g/E-Ticket-Ride.htm
- ↑ http://youtu.be/JBjHJ14d8ko
- ↑ http://blogmickey.com/2017/03/official-backstories-shops-eateries-attractions-around-pandora-world-avatar/
- ↑ http://www.slashfilm.com/avatar-land-d23-expo-2015/
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/03/photos-video-new-6-minute-behind-scenes-look-pandora-reveals-ever-banshee-virtual-reality-ride/
- ↑ https://blogmickey.com/2017/03/additional-details-flight-passage-ride-appear-mickey-monitor-newsletter-annual-passholders/
- ↑ http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/03/new-details-rides-stunning-new-image-pandora-world-avatar/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3fkuaQNGHI
- ↑ http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/12/photos-disney-shares-new-glimpses-inside-pandora-world-avatar/
- ↑ http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/03/photos-video-look-inside-pandora-world-avatar-flight-passage-banshee-thrill-ride-animal-kingdom/
- ↑ http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/02/breaking-leaked-image-reveals-ride-vehicle-avatar-flying-banshee-attraction-disneys-animal-kingdom/