Antonino Giovanni Ribisi
December 17, 1974
Giovanni Ribisi, who is an active Scientologist Italian-American of Sicilian origin, was born in Los Angeles, California to Gay Landrum, a talent agent, and Albert Ribisi, a musician. He is the twin brother of actress Marissa Ribisi, and has another sister, Gina Ribisi. He portrayed Parker Selfridge in Avatar.
Ribisi began his career in network television with recurring and guest roles on a number of shows, including The New Leave It to Beaver, The Wonder Years and My Two Dads. He entered the public eye with a prominent performance in The X-Files episode D.P.O. as well as with his recurring role as Frank Jr., the brother of Phoebe Buffay (Lisa Kudrow) on Friends.
He actually first appears as an unnamed character in The One With the Baby on the Bus asking for his condom back from Phoebe after throwing it with some change in her guitar case.
More recently, he has appeared in four episodes of My Name Is Earl, earning a 2007 Emmy nomination for his performance on the series. His film credits include Perfect Stranger, Gone In Sixty Seconds, Saving Private Ryan, That Thing You Do!, Boiler Room, subUrbia, The Gift, Basic, Lost in Translation, Flight of the Phoenix, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and Ted.
Ribisi has also appeared on the video of British band Keane's single Crystal Ball, which was released worldwide on August 21, 2006. He also appeared with Winona Ryder and John C. Reilly in Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's music video Talk About The Blues.
Ribisi was married to Mariah O'Brien from March 18, 1997 through November 3, 2001; the couple had a daughter, Lucia, born in December 1997 and named after the doomed heroine in the Donizetti opera, Lucia di Lammermoor. Ribisi is an active Scientologist, and participated in the gala opening of Scientology's controversial "Psychiatry: An Industry of Death" Museum in December 2005. His twin sister, Marissa, is also a Scientologist and is married to indie-rocker Beck.
- Daughter Lucia (born December 1997) is named after the doomed heroine in the Donizetti opera.
- Studied acting at The Beverly Hills Playhouse with Milton Katselas.
- Once competed on family game show I'm Telling with sister Marissa Ribisi.
- Won the ShoWest Newcomer of the Year Award in 1999.
- Made the cover of "Vanity Fair" after receiving critical kudos for Saving Private Ryan.
- Best known on TV in the recurring role of Lisa Kudrow's dimbulb brother on Friends.
- Clashed with filmmakers on the Basic set because of the inclusion of a female Special Forces operative. Women are not eligible for combat in the US military. He felt it compromised the integrity of the story.
- He is 15 minutes older than twin sister Marissa.
- Was approached to play Lynch McGraw in "Hero Wanted" but turned it down.