|“|| "That's a gorgeous brain."
- Max about Jake's first link to his avatar.
|Dr. Max Patel|
|Behind the Scenes|
The Arrival of the Avatar TeamEdit
Max met Jake Sully and Norm Spellman the day they arrived on Pandora. He explained what an avatar was and showed them their respective avatars. He was in charge of linking Jake's mind into his avatar for the first time. When Jake woke up in his avatar form, Max asked him to settle down, as he wasn't used to his avatar body. However, Jake disobeyed him and ran out of the building. Max was also the one who told Grace that Jake was giving information about the Na'vi to both Colonel Quaritch and Parker Selfridge, causing Grace's team to relocate to Site 26.
The Release of the Avatar TeamEdit
Max and Trudy Chacon helped the avatar team to escape after they were arrested, but as they fled, Jake told Max to stay behind in order to provide them with intelligence, saying he needed someone on the inside he could trust.
The Final BattleEdit
After the battle, Max was one of the few humans chosen to stay on Pandora, after the RDA employees were banished.
Personality and traitsEdit
Max is a kind-hearted man and very loyal to his friends. Jake said that Max is one of the few humans on Pandora that he could trust and asked him to be his inside man to help Jake find out what to expect from the RDA in the final battle. He is a clever scientist and was in charge of overseeing the process of transferring a human's mind into an avatar body. Max is quite cautious, asking Jake to settle down after being transferred into his new body, because Jake hadn't yet adapted to the body and Max didn't want him to accidentally injure himself or anyone else.
- In the Avatar script, Max and the Avatar Program scientists attacked the Hell's Gate OPS Center while the Assault on the Tree of Souls was taking place. Max, using a Slash Cutter, smashed through the side of the building, allowing a group of armed avatars to enter and capture the RDA personnel inside, including Parker Selfridge. An unfinished version of this scene is included as a deleted scene in the Extended Collector's Edition.
"Tomorrow, here, 0800, try and use big words."
- - To Jake Sully.
"That's a gorgeous brain."
- - Max about Jake's first link to his avatar.
"Jake, listen to me, you're not used to your avatar body!"
- - Max warning Jake to slow down.
"Jake, it's crazy here. It’s full mobilization. They’re rigging the shuttle as a bomber. They’ve made up these big pallets of mine explosives. It’s for some kind of shock and awe campaign."
- - Max telling Jake, Norm and Trudy about Quaritch's operation.