In case anyone is unaware, Wikia is overhauling its look in the coming weeks and it will be a big overhaul that will affect both the appearance and how things are done here. The change is compulsory for all wikis because it is not simply a new skin option, it’s going to be an upgraded version of Wikia (the wikia system's software is going from mediawiki 1.15 to 1.16, which is apparently a bigger deal than it sounds like). Wikia does not want to waste resources working on an outdated version of the software, hence the update being mandatory.
- The widget dashboard and all widgets are to be discontinued as they were deemed to be underused.
- "Report a Problem" links will also be discontinued with the new skin as they were not used as intended.
- "Email a user" link is gone.
- Page ratings are gone.
- New tool for customizing the colour scheme/theme, including default themes.
- The new look uses a fixed width layout, we are not permitted to change, which might influence the layout of articles quite a bit.
- Wiki logo is replaced with "Wordmark", which admins can customize by adjusting the text & color, or by uploading an image in the theme designer.
- Site notice is no longer on every page. It is now located in the Community Corner and users will receive a notification bubble each time it is updated.
- "My Home" becomes "Wiki Activity" and contains a link to recent changes
- There is a new sidebar area on the right that takes about 1/3 of each page's width, where the recent activity and other "modules" will sit. More "modules" are being developed for it, but there are currently no plans for user-developed modules.
- Two of the categories are listed at top as well the full list at the bottom. Apparently the two chosen will be the categories containing the most pages. There is a blacklist to keep out typical maintenance categories, but it is not wiki specific (atm).
- Edit and talk buttons will be used instead of written links.
- The name of the user who uploaded a picture will be listed underneath the image caption on articles.
When/how will this change happen?
(copy/paste from Wikia staff blog. Check there for any updates)
|October 6, 2010||
|October 20, 2010 *||
|November 3, 2010||
* Please note that this timeline does not include non-English wikis, which will require translation. We will announce the international transition plan in the coming weeks.
Handy references with more details
- Transition guide
- Important Updates on Wikia’s New Look
- Experience the new Wikia (Wikia blog)
- Sneak Peek at the New Look - Themes (Wikia blog)
- Sneak Peek at the New Look - Your Personal Toolbar (Wikia blog)
- Sneak Peek at the New Look - Community Activity (Wikia blog)
- Your First Look at the New Wikia (Wikia blog)
- My Tools demo video
The reactions to the new look have been hugely negative so far. Quite a number of users and whole wikis are considering to move away from Wikia.
What you think about the changes made by Wikia? Comments on the new look are welcome & encouraged.